You’ve heard a lot about the importance of staging the inside of your home to appeal to buyers. But, have you ever considered staging the outside? Exterior staging can be more important than what’s done inside, according to some real estate experts. Remember, buyers take less than one minute to decide whether or not they even want to go into a home. As many as 40% actually drive away if the outside doesn’t “look right.”
Why is Exterior Staging Important?
Imagine a buyer pulling up to your home. They take a quick look and notice black streaks on your roof (a sign of mold and lichens); dirty siding, sagging gutters and a stain streaked driveway. Their first impression is that you don’t take very good care of your home, and either drive away or automatically deducts a big chunk of cash from your asking price. Either way, you lose.
Now, if you take the time to give the outside of your home a bit of a face lift, you will accomplish several things:
- You will grab the buyer’s attention
- You will help the buyer visualize their family in the home
- You will increase your property value by 10% or more
- You will make your home easier to sell
How Do You Stage the Outside of a Home?
Staging the interior of a home is easy: you declutter; add a focal point to the room and give the area a clean crisp look. The same can be done for the exterior of your home. But how? Here are a few simple ideas that won’t take much time or money:
- Clean … Clean … Clean. Nothing turns off buyers more than a dirty, worn looking exterior. While making big home improvements can boost your property’s value, they also cost a fortune. Giving your home a good scrubbing can offer just as much appeal, without the cost. When cleaning the exterior of your home, be sure to power wash the siding to strip away years of grime and dirt. Wash the windows to allow more natural light into the home and to give the outside a fresh, crisp look. Don’t forget to power wash concrete, brick and stone too, to bring out its natural colors and strip away stains that may be making your exterior look worn and tired. A clean fence and deck can also help to improve the overall look of the home.
- Declutter and Depersonalize. You know how important it is to declutter inside, but take a look at the exterior of your home. Are there toys scattered on the deck or in the yard? Is there too much furniture crammed on the porch or patio? Streamline the entire look by getting rid of any broken or worn accessories and pare down your furniture to open the space and make it look more welcoming. Adding a splash of color with trendy pillows can help bring out the look of a porch or patio. This is also a good time to pack away children’s outdoor toys to give the yard a cleaner look. Be sure to look carefully at hidden areas (like sheds, garages and basement staircases) for clutter that may distract buyer’s attention and make the house look shabby.
- Add some color. Planting some colorful flowers in the garden or simply placing a few colorful planters on the front porch can make the place look more inviting.
- Check out your lighting. Lighting is very important when it comes to staging the exterior of a home. Make sure existing lights have new bulbs and work well. Add accent lights to porch, patio or garden areas.
- Check the Roof. One of the biggest mistakes homeowners make when it comes time to sell is forgetting the importance of a good looking roof. One of the first things a potential buyer sees when they approach a home, a shabby looking roof can result in a lower offer or no offer at all. Even if your shingles are in good shape, make your roof stand out with a good cleaning. Algae, mold and lichen are common on roofs but can create black streaks and greenish coverings that can make a buyer think that the roof itself is poorly maintained. Having a professional cleaning crew tackle these problems can give your entire home a fresh, well-maintained look.
If staging the outside of your home seems like a chore that you would rather forget, call in the expert crew at Indiana Roof and Exterior Cleaning. They know exactly how to make your house shine so that buyers will be lining up.