You’ve fixed up the inside of your house and placed the for sale sign in the front yard. If you haven’t taken the time to spruce up the exterior of your home, you may have just lost a sale. More than 70% of potential buyers cite curb appeal as the #1 draw to a house. Even if the house’s specs completely match their must-have list, buyers will not step through the threshold if the outside does not live up to their expectations.
Of course, when selling your home, you have to be careful how much you spend on exterior updates. Otherwise, you could end up losing money. So what projects should you add to your to-do list that will offer the kind of curb appeal buyer’s demand, without risking your final ROI? Here is a simple checklist to follow. We have listed the projects in order of most importance and best return, so don’t feel like you have to get through the entire list to sell your home. Even doing the first few can increase your chances of striking a deal.
Your Basic Seller’s To-Do List
It’s time to spruce up the outside of your home. What needs to be done first? Ask yourself these questions to determine where to start:
Does My House Look Worn and Tired?
The last thing you want potential buyers to worry about is maintenance. Make your home look as fresh and cared for as possible. This includes:
- Cleaning up the Landscape. Remove any dead leaves, branches or other debris from the property. Trim hedges and bushes and plant a few flowers (or add some potted plants to the entryway). Updating your landscaping with some fresh mulch and new planting is reported to provide a 100% ROI in most areas.
- Bring Back the Shine. Cleanliness shows potential buyers that the home is well cared for – plus it makes it look good. Something as simple as power washing the exterior of the home, patio, fencing, and roof costs only about $250 yet can yield 150% of its cost during resale. Cleaning stains and mold from the roof can also help to limit moisture damage, which is a big draw for buyers.
- Cleaning and Repairing Gutters. Properly maintained gutters are essential to good home maintenance. Having your gutters professionally cleaned and repaired by Indianan Roof and Exterior Cleaning will not only make your house look good; it will send a signal to buyers that you have taken good care of it over the years.
- Paint Offers a Fresh New Look. Repainting the entire house can yield a 90% ROI, but can be pricey depending on the size and style of the home. If the cost of a full paint job is too high, consider repainting the front door and exterior trim for a fresh, clean look.
Is My House Up to Date?
Buyers don’t want to move into a new home only to have to update it within the first few months. When it is time to sell, consider these important upgrades:
- Automation. Turn your home into a Smart House. Modern buyers love the technology that allows remote access to their home.
- Install a New Front Door. Impress potential buyers with style, safety and a bit of charm with a new front door. Although it can cost $1,000 or more to replace the front door, in most cases real estate experts agree that the ROI for this type of project runs about 102%.
- Install New Hardware. Something as simple (and cheap) as installing new doorknobs, house numbers, outdoor light fixtures or mailbox can give your home the new, well-kept look that draws a buyer’s attention.
Is My House Comfortable?
Buyers aren’t just looking for a house; they are looking for a home. Make your house appear more comfortable by:
- Adding a rocking chair to the front porch
- Cleaning the windows
- Installing window boxes with fresh flowers
- Add a wreath to the front door
- Open the window shades and curtains to welcome visitors
From the moment a potential buyer pulls in front of your home, you want to pull them in with the right look and feel of its exterior. To learn more about how Indiana Roof & Exterior Cleaning can help you spruce up your house’s exterior, contact our office today.